Sunday, August 4, 2013

Is Your Nail Polish Toxic?


I love to have pretty painted nails, don’t you? I think almost every girl does! What every girl doesn’t know is that nail polish contains toxic chemicals. I always knew that nail polish was full of chemicals, but I always thought to myself, “Well, it’s just going on my nails. It’s not like I’m putting it on my skin.” I was very wrong to think this. Nails are a part of your skin and are very porous, meaning those chemicals will totally be absorbed into your body. Not good, right?

There are three major chemicals found in nail polishes which are commonly referred to as the “toxic trio”. The toxic trio consists of toluene, formaldehyde, and dibutyl phthalate.

Toluene is used to manufacture rubber, gasoline, paints, airplane glue, shoe polish, and other chemicals. I don’t think anyone would want to rub this chemical all over their skin. I know I wouldn’t! As I said, nails are a part of your skin, so that’s totally what you’re doing. This chemical is known to affect the central nervous system. Toluene can cause vertigo, seizures, coma, decreased cognition, blindness, and much more. It affects other areas of the body too, like your heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, and musculoskeletal systems.

Formaldehyde is a colorless gas, used as a preservative. This chemical can cause blistering, contact dermatitis, and chemical burns. Exposure to low doses of this chemical have been known to irritate eyes, skin, and the respiratory tract. Higher amounts of formaldehyde can cause pulmonary swelling, irregular heartbeat, and even death! It sure doesn’t sound like something you’d want your body to be absorbing!

Dibutyl phthalate goes by many names such as benzenedicarboxylic acid and dibutyl ester. The European Union does not allow this chemical to be used in cosmetics. This chemical can lead to toxicity in the nervous system, developmental delays, hormone disruption, neurotoxicity, and irritation of the lungs.

I definitely don’t want to be absorbing any of those toxic chemicals into my body! So, I looked into healthier options that are free of the toxic trio. Yesterday, I picked up 3 bottles of Mineral Fusion nail polish at Whole Foods. I love using different shades of pink whenever I paint my nails, so I got a pink polish called Jewel. I also got a bottle of base coat and top coat polish. I painted my nails today with this nail polish and loved the way they turned out. The pink color is super cute! Mineral Fusion’s nail polish was on sale at Whole Foods for $5.99, it’s normally $7.99. I thought that price was awesome and around the same amount of money that I’d spend on other nail polishes that are full chemicals. You can check out Mineral Fusion’s nail polish here: http://mineralfusion.com/index.php/shop/nail-color-and-care/nail-polish/nail-polish

Natural nail polish is WAY healthier and comes in tons of cute colors! You should definitely give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment