Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Natural Makeup


Every girl decides to start wearing makeup at some point in her life. I didn’t start applying makeup until I was fourteen, but every girl’s different. Lots of girls decide to start wearing makeup earlier than that and others choose to wait longer than I did.

One day I was looking in my makeup bag and I realized that a lot of my makeup contained yucky chemicals. I couldn’t believe what a chemical bomb my makeup bag was! Now, I’m on a mission to change that. I’m going to start buying natural makeup because it’s so much healthier and way better for my skin.

 Here’s the 411 on harmful chemicals found in popular makeup brands: You wouldn’t even believe what’s in your makeup! Some of the ingredients have ridiculously long names and are hard to pronounce! To name a few…

1. Parabens are used to give items a longer shelf life. They can cause allergic reactions and skin rashes. Parabens are banned in Japan and Sweden, and are currently under review in the UK.

2. Formaldehyde is another chemical used in makeup products. This chemical can cause allergic reactions, contact dermatitis, headaches, depression, fatigue, dizziness, and immune dysfunction. It also irritates mucous membranes, damages eyes, and has been linked to joint + chest pain. This chemical is also cancer causing. Formaldehyde is banned in Europe! I wonder why.

3. Diethanolamine (DEA), triethanolamine (TEA), amonoethanolamine (MEA) can disrupt hormones, cause liver and kidney cancer, and irritate skin. It’s also corrosive to eyes and could cause contact dermatitis. These chemicals are currently under review in the USA, UK, and Europe.

4. Propylene/Butylene Glycol (PG) has these possible side effects: brain, kidney, and liver abnormalities, throat and respiratory irritation, depression of the central nervous system, brain damage, skin rashes, and dermatitis. This chemical is banned in Europe.

As you can see, makeup containing these ingredients could be very harmful to your health! I’ve only just scratched the surface in this post! There are so many other reasons why you shouldn’t be applying these toxins to your skin!

Natural makeup is more expensive, but wouldn’t you rather spend extra money on makeup now instead of having to deal with and spend money on fixing health issues in the future? Since, natural makeup is pricy; it’s going to take me awhile to change the contents of my makeup bag. As I continue to add to my natural makeup bag, I’ll let you know what I think of each product after I try it.

Every girl is a natural beauty and doesn’t need to wear makeup to be pretty. So, the upcoming natural makeup posts are for those of you who have decided to start enhancing your natural beauty with makeup.


Photo Credit: www.ecoglominerals.com

No comments:

Post a Comment