Thursday, February 20, 2014

Making Healthy Choices


Life is all about making choices. The average person is faced with hundreds of choices each day. All the choices we make over time will eventually accumulate and create change. This change will either be good or bad. It’s up to you to make it positive change.

If you don’t have your dream body right now, that’s because you’ve made poor choices when choosing what to eat or in choosing not to exercise. In this post, I want to inspire you to make dietary and fitness choices that will create positive change in your life. It’s easier than you might think!


Food Choices


We are faced with food choices every day, multiple times a day. Making the correct food choices over time will have a huge impact on your body, health, and your overall wellbeing. It’s not that hard. You just need to become conscious of your decision making when it comes to food.

Let’s look at some food choices and their positive or negative outcomes…


1. Let’s say you need something quick to eat and decide to order fast food. You’re going to order either a burger with fries and a soda or a fresh salad with fruit. First, ask yourself, which is going to make me feel better? Obviously the salad and fruit. How will I feel after I eat the greasy food? Probably lethargic, crappy and weighed down. How will I feel after eating the fresh food? Happy, full of energy, and glad that you fueled your body with healthy food. Will I regret eating the burger and fries afterward? Yes. Asking yourself questions like these will help you to make the right choice.


2. Something that I like to call “boredom hunger” is a major issue that gets a lot of people. Sometimes boredom can lead to excessive snacking or eating when you’re not hungry. This isn’t good! You should always listen to your body and eat only when you’re hungry. Ask yourself, am I really hungry right now or am I just bored and looking for something to do? If the answer to this is, “No, I’m not hungry,” then I encourage you to close that fridge door and find something to do!


3. Say you’re craving something sweet, and you keep thinking about this sweet treat. You’re contemplating getting it…STOP! Okay, this is where you think, do I really need to have that sweet taste in my mouth? You’ll taste it for a moment and then it’ll be gone. Then, you’ll wish that you would’ve eaten something healthier. So, try to ask yourself “Will this benefit me/my body?” before making a food choice. I’m not saying you can’t eat sweet stuff, just not too much of it. ;)


4. Overeating is another issue that many deal with. I’ve made a rule for myself, which is to never go back for seconds unless I’m still hungry. I wait at least five minutes after eating and usually always feel satisfied. I rarely ever go for seconds, because if I do, I feel stuffed, lethargic, and really weighed down…hate that feeling! Try to listen to your body. When you feel satisfied, stop eating. It’s that simple!

Try to be conscious of your food choices and remember to use the stop and think method. Soon, you’ll start making healthy choices with little effort. I promise you’ll be glad that you made all of those healthy choices when you’re full of energy and loving your body!


Fitness Choices


Make sure that you set aside some time everyday for exercise. A lot of people don’t exercise or don’t exercise enough due to poor decision making. Try to move for at least thirty minutes every day. Sometimes, you may need to choose between exercising and doing something that you really wanted to do. You may not have time for both, so always try to choose exercise when you can.

Fitness choices and their positive or negative outcomes…


1. You decide to exercise 30 minutes every day for a year. The result of this choice would be a super healthy and fit you.


2. Let’s say you get home from work or school and you haven’t worked out yet. You have 2 hours of TV recorded, waiting for you to watch. You can either watch the full 2 hours…or watch 1 ½ hours and do a 30 minute workout. Ask yourself, what will benefit me more, watching that 30 minute show or working out? Working out will make you feel happier, awesome, and rejuvenated. Watching the show will probably make you feel blah and I’m sure you’ll be wishing that you would have exercised.


3. Sometimes we can’t move every single day because life gets in the way. That’s totally okay! You just need to make sure that missing one day doesn’t lead to you missing lots of days. I don’t work out every single day of the week. I try to work out every night if I can but sometimes I have a busy day and don’t have time for a workout. After missing a day, I jump right back into working out again.


These small choices might not mean much by themselves, but together, they can majorly impact your life. It’s like that saying: one person can make a difference. Every single choice you make will make a difference as well!


I hope I’ve inspired you today! I wish you luck on your decision making! :)





Photo Credit: videohive.net

No comments:

Post a Comment